|Video Game Data|
H@PPENING LOC@TION (ハプニング☆ロケ Hapuningu☆Roke) was the first iDOLM@STER "mobile app game," released in 2005. It was a game that could be accessed through THE iDOLM@STER official mobile site, which cost 300円 JPY a month to use.
The online service of H@PPENING LOC@TION and all other software under the "Arcade Edition THE iDOLM@STER Network Connection Service" was terminated on September 1, 2010. This game was eventually replaced by the Mobile game.
H@PPENING LOC@TION is described as a "sugoroku adventure game." The game contains no voice acting or 3D models, and instead uses sound effects for dialogue and 2D sprites. Points earned in H@PPENING LOC@TION could be used to buy and use accessories in THE iDOLM@STER arcade game.
The game acts as a TV travel show, where the player and a pre-selected idol travel to tourist spots around Japan and report on it. The higher the ratings, the higher amount of points you receive when finishing the game. Gameplay is formatted as a simple visual novel, with a board game-esque game inbetween. The title screen contains three choices: "location start," a rule guide, and an options menu.
There are three meters to keep track of: ratings, the amount spaces left on the board, and production costs. If productions costs reach 0, the game ends. During the board game section, the player rolls three dice and chooses one to be the amount of steps taken forward on the board by the pre-selected idol. The idol has the chance of stopping on one of five different types of spaces:
- Normal - No effect.
- Event - Increases ratings by 2, but has the chance for a choice prompt to appear. If the player chooses the correct choice, their ratings increase by 3. If the incorrect choice is chosen, ratings are not increased at all.
- Sponsor - Increases production costs by the pictured number.
- Item - Player receives the pictured item.
- Happening - Plays an event only if the player has the required items. If they don't, the space is grayed out and it has no effect.
Over the course of a year, 9 locations were released. These locations are:
- Trip to Kyoto (京都の旅) featuring Haruka Amami
- Trip to Okayama (岡山の旅) featuring Chihaya Kisaragi
- Trip to Nagoya (名古屋の旅) featuring Azusa Miura
- Trip to Fukuoka (福岡の旅) featuring Ami/Mami Futami
- Trip to Yokohama (横浜の旅) featuring Iori Minase
- Trip to Okinawa (沖縄の旅) featuring Makoto Kikuchi
- Trip to Tokyo (東京の旅) featuring Ritsuko Akizuki
- Trip to Hokkaido (北海道の旅) featuring Yukiho Hagiwara
- Trip to Osaka and Kobe (大阪・神戸の旅) featuring Yayoi Takatsuki
Development & Release
Although the exact dates of development are unknown, a blog post from January 18, 2005, notes that they had begun taking background photos for the game.
- Though the game is currently unavailable for download, various footage of gameplay can be found online.
- Official Page
- End of Online Service Announcement
- Namco Mobile H@PPENING LOC@TION EZweb Page (Archived)
- Namco Mobile H@PPENING LOC@TION i-mode Page (Archived)